The U.S. Mint Coins:
One of the three original U.S. Mint branches authorized by Congress in 1835, the Charlotte Mint opened in 1838 to refine the gold from the North Carolina Gold Rush - America’s first gold rush. The danger and difficulty of assaying and transporting the gold ore to Philadelphia had led to the decision to establish a branch of the U.S. Mint in the area. The refinery at the Charlotte Mint began operating in 1837, but it was another year before the minting of gold coins commenced. Like its sister mint in Dahlonega, GA, the Charlotte Mint’s only purpose was to refine and assay local gold, and turn it into coins. No silver or base metal coins were ever struck there.
The Charlotte Mint's career as a U.S. Mint ended when it was seized by the Confederate States of America in 1861. After the war, it was reduced to an assay office, as most of the gold miners had long since headed to California. It closed its doors for the last time as a U.S. Treasury facility in 1913. 100 years after its founding, the Charlotte Mint building was moved and transformed into North Carolina’s first art museum in 1936.
The Charlotte Mint used the “C” mint mark.